Everything you need to know about Christine and Marc
Marc Graf is a professional and award-winning photographer, videographer and conservationist based in Austria. Marc holds a master’s degree in conservation biology and wildlife ecology obtained from the University of Vienna/Austria and the University of Melbourne/Australia. His aim is to help preseve biodiversity of our planet’s diverse ecosystems. The tools he has chosen to promote environmental consciousness are based on photography, film & multimedia. By combining the means of expressive pictures and informative words Marc cooperates with his partner, the Austrian photographer, videographer and writer Christine Sonvilla to convey what treasures can be found in nature and how worthwhile it is to protect them. Travelling and exploring the world has always been an important aspect of his life. When he sets off travelling it is mostly about nature. He toured all over Scandinavia, roamed Arabia’s deserts, crossed Downunder, searched for Tigers in India, hiked the swamps in the Southeast of the US, chased the light in California, turned every stone for rattlesnakes and simply is passionate about any critter on earth.
Marc’s work is all about storytelling and long-term projects.
Over the past 10 years he gained experience in wide-angle phototrapping, underwater photography, wildlife filming and timelapse photography and developed his own photographic style and approaches to achieve unique images.
Christine is a professional and award-winning photographer, filmmaker and writer focusing on nature conservation and wildlife topics. Her work revolves around advocating nature issues and raising environmental awareness. She uses photography, film and text to speak in nature’s favour, hoping that she can make a contribution towards a society that perceives nature (again) as valuable and considers it as an integral part of decision-making and everyday life.
Christine was born in Klagenfurt/Austria. She obtained a master’s degree in German philology in 2006 and a master’s degree in Biology with a focus on marine biology and nature conservation in 2009 attending the University of Vienna, Macquarie University Sydney and University of Queensland.
Travelling, exploring other countries and nature experiences have been her passion ever since. Whilst still enrolled in university, she was eager to start a scientific career. Towards the end of her studies, however, she realized that „being out there in the field“ and working creatively by using photography, film, writing and speaking suited her far better. Since then, she has been working on sharing her wildlife adventures, on bridging the gap between science and public and on making nature matter.
Christine and Marc have been contributing numerous stories to magazines and newspapers, blogs and books. By 2018 they have published more than 250 articles, amongst these numerous cover stories. In June 2018 they published a selection of their brown bear images in the German edition of the National Geographic Magazine. The same story was subsequently published in the August 2018 issue of NatGeo Slovenia.
Furthermore, the production of image trailers and films e.g. for Austrian national parks and nature conservation institutions, constitute a major aspect of their work.
Their core competence is the combination of all communication tools. Christine and Marc offer and produce multimedia-packages dedicated to nature promotion for diverse clients. This involves photo and film coverage of a particular nature topic (including timelapse, tracking shots via camera dolly, underwater as well as drone photography and film), resulting in blog and magazine articles as well as trailers and films that can be used for web, tv, hdav-presentations etc.
- WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR 2018 – Highly commended in “Animals in their Environment” (Marc)
- OASIS Photo Contest 2018 – Highly commended in Storytelling (Marc)
- OASIS Photo Contest 2018 – Highlight Plants (Christine)
- NATURE IMAGES AWARDS 2017 – Highly commended in Portfolio (Marc)
- EL MUNDO 2017 – Best Photography & Second overall place for Everglades – Swamp Stories (Christine & Marc)
- THE NATURE CONSERVANY’S CONTEST 2017 – Among the Top 100 selection (Christine)
- LIFE DINALP BEAR Photo Contest 2017 – 6 Photos selected for travelling exhibition “Life with Bears” (Christine & Marc)
- BECA MONTPHOTO WWF GRANT 2016 – All over winner with “Brown Bears in Central Europe” (Christine & Marc)
- NATURE IMAGES AWARDS 2016 – 2nd Place in TelePhoto (Marc)
- NATURE IMAGES AWARDS 2016 – 3rd Place in Species Story (Marc)
- GLANZLICHTER 2016 – Highlight in Wildlife in human environment (Christine)
- NATURE IMAGES AWARDS 2014 – Highlight in Urban nature (Marc)